ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS:
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. Please go to www.equaljusticeworks.org to learn more about Equal Justice Works.
Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
The Senior Manager of the Annual Fund is a member of the Institutional Advancement Team, formed to help Equal Justice Works grow from a small to medium-sized nonprofit with an expanded revenue base. The Senior Manager will help identify, manage, cultivate, solicit, acknowledge, and steward unrestricted donors to achieve the organization’s key strategic goals. The Senior Manager will focus primarily on the Annual Dinner, and will work to expand the Annual Fund program over time.
The Senior Manager reports to the Chief Development Officer and supervises one staff member. The Senior Manager will often participate in meetings with the Executive Director, Executive Vice President and Director of Philanthropy to help develop the strategy and execution of activities that will garner the necessary resources to sustain and scale Equal Justice Works programs.
Serve as the team lead for executing the Annual Dinner by cultivating and recruiting the Dinner Steering Committee, while also being responsible for corporate, law firm, and individual fundraising for the event. In 2016, the dinner raised $3.1 million.
- Work with committee members and their offices to solicit and secure sponsors.
- Create a sponsor pyramid and maintain a donor pipeline
- Recommend calls and visits to be made by the Executive Director, Chief Development Officer, and others to achieve the dinner goal.
- Contribute to a marketing plan for the dinner, including providing content for event communications and collateral
- Develop assignments for Steering Committee members, Board, and key staff
- Recommend and help confirm the dinner honoree and emcee
- Identify guests from the dinner to be included in the annual fund pipeline
- Collaborate with internal and external events staff on dinner location and logistics
Identify unrestricted major donors, prospects and suspects and develop and implement strategies for donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition. In 2016, just over $600k was raised by the annual fund.
- Maintain and cultivate a portfolio of annual fund donors
- Help set revenue goal for annual giving campaign and manage donor pipeline
- Develop plans and implement campaigns for the Board of Directors, Board of Counselors, and other unrestricted major donors
- Work with donors and staff to plan and execute special events (receptions, gatherings, etc.) in key cities for the purpose of identifying and recruiting new donors
- Contribute to the development and execution of a marketing and communications plan in support of the annual fund
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Chief Development Officer, Director of Philanthropy and other staff in helping them plan and make effective solicitation visits.
- Help identify and recruit leading donors for the Board of Counselors.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree; Masters preferred
- Events experience a Must
- 5+ years of annual fund or equivalent experience
- Must have a strong attention to detail, be able to manage competing priorities, and work with multiple moving parts.
- Legal experience preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (word, Excel, Power Point). Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Experience with Microsoft CRM preferred
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is commensurate with experience. Employees participate in Equal Justice Works’ standard health insurance, dental insurance, and flexible spending account plans, and life, accidental death and disability insurance policies. Leave includes 20 paid vacation days during the first year of employment, 10 days of sick leave and two days of personal leave. Employees are eligible to participate in 401K retirement plan and transportation fringe benefit program, and may apply to participate in Equal Justice Works’ loan repayment assistance plan.
Equal Justice Works is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.