ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS:
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. Please go to www.equaljusticeworks.org to learn more about Equal Justice Works.
Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Student Debt Specialist is responsible for maintaining Equal Justice Works’ national leadership position on student debt issues in the legal community and providing law students, law schools, lawyers, and legal organizations with comprehensive information on overcoming student debt. The position works closely with the Student Engagement Program and is an integral part of the collaborative team working to fulfill the unit’s functions. The Specialist reports directly to the Director of the Law School Engagement & Advocacy unit.
We are looking for a dynamic and creative team member who knows how to communicate and organize effectively in the legal world. Qualified applicants will demonstrate an ability to understand the burden of student debt for law students and lawyers seeking public interest careers and a passion for providing them with comprehensive assistance.
In addition, the qualified applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her ability to:
- Develop expertise in and keep up to date on student debt programs important to law students and lawyers, including Public Service Loan Forgiveness, income-driven repayment plans, and Loan Repayment Assistance Programs. In addition, the Specialist must develop and maintain a generalized knowledge of a wide variety of student debt and educational issues.
- Meet the unit’s strategic plan goals of growing Equal Justice Works’ student debt list and providing comprehensive information on student debt to law students and lawyers.
- Demonstrate superior writing skills and the ability to produce and update written materials, including a comprehensive student debt e-book, the organization’s Huffington Post blog, the student debt portions of the organization’s website, and content for newsletters, presentations, and other communications materials.
- Create and give compelling in-person and online presentations, including at law schools, conferences, legal aid organizations and via monthly online webinars.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the organization’s key constituents and allies, including law schools, law students, legal organizations, and higher education advocacy groups.
- Work with unit director to track legislative and regulatory developments regarding student debt that impact Equal Justice Works constituencies. Help advocate for the preservation and improvement of student debt relief programs and participate in regulatory actions, including notice and comment and negotiated rulemaking, as necessary.
- Capture and analyze data on the program’s progress in Equal Justice Works’ CRM database.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree plus two to three years' relevant working experience.
- Strong public speaking, communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated project management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word). Ability to work with current technology and to adapt to new technology.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Proven ability to take individual initiative and responsibility for assignments.
- J.D. a plus.
- Experience with state or federal advocacy campaigns a plus.
- State or federal legislative experience a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Comprehensive and generous benefits package commensurate with education and experience, including loan repayment assistance, full healthcare coverage, dental and 403(b) 4% match, employer sponsored disability insurance program, monthly transportation stipend, and 12 holidays, 14 days of vacation, 2 personal days, and 10 days of sick leave. Professional development funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives. Salary Range: $40-48K
Applicants should send a one-page resume, three references, and cover letter describing in detail their experience, qualifications and why they would be a good fit. Please note: Phone calls and direct emails will not be accepted.
EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.